It is important to follow a well-balanced diet to keep your new kidney healthy. Eating a healthy diet and increasing your activity can lower your risk of heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, and osteoporosis.
After discharge Here are some tips for staying healthy:
1.Fluid goals: –
If your new kidney is working, drink plenty of fluid. You are no longer on a fluid restriction. Dehydration can be harmful to the new kidney.
RELATED: Natural Treatment for Gout
In the first 2 months after transplant, you need more protein to heal after surgery, fight infection, and provide energy. Protein-rich foods include:
• Lean meats, poultry, fish.
• Low-fat or nonfat milk, yogurt, cheese
. Eggs, egg substitutes
• Dried beans, peas, nuts.
• Tofu, other soy foods.
RELATED: 5 Super foods For Arthritis :
Your transplant medications can cause a high potassium level in your blood.
Avoid foods high in potassium
High-potassium foods include:
• Fruits like melons, bananas, avocados, oranges.
Vegetables like potatoes, tomatoes, dark leafy greens
•Dried beans, lentils
• Salt substitutes
Limit sodium to help control fluid retention and blood pressure. Avoid adding salt to foods.
Foods that you may also limit include:
• Salt seasonings (such as garlic salt, soy sauce, teriyaki sauce)
• Cured meats (such as ham, bacon, sausage)
• Lunch meats (such as salami, bologna)
• Frozen meals that have more than 600 mg sodium per serving
• Pickles and olives
• Canned foods with added salt (such as canned vegetables and soups)
• Fast food and many restaurant foods.
RELATED: 7 Herbal Uses of Clove!
Food Safety Transplant drugs can lower your immune system and increase your risk for food-borne illness.
You can reduce your risk by handling food safely:
• Avoid raw and undercooked meats, seafood, and eggs, and unpasteurized dairy products.
• Always wash fresh fruits and vegetables well before eating.
• Avoid grapefruit products at all times when taking may cause high blood sugar, nausea, and diarrhea. If you have high blood sugar, limit sweets, regular soda, and juice.
Long Term Goal :
It is important to maintain a healthy weight after transplant to keep your new kidney healthy. Weigh yourself often and avoid high-calorie foods, such as fatty foods and sweets. Follow a heart-healthy diet to control your weight and lower your risk of high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and diabetes.
• Choose lean meats, poultry, and fish. Trim all visible fat off meat before cooking.
• Choose low-fat or nonfat dairy products.
• Avoid shortening, butter, or stick margarine. Choose olive or canola oil and tub margarine, used in small amounts.
• Avoid fried foods. Bake, roast, broil, boil, or sauté foods instead.
• Choose foods high in fiber, such as whole grains, legumes, and fresh fruits and vegetables. Aim for 25-35 grams of fiber per day.
Exercise After transplant, exercise can:
• Help to control your weight.
• Strengthen your heart.
• Improve your endurance.
• Keep your bones healthy.
An Article By
Dietician Neha Suryawanshi is a nutritionist based in Sion, East Mumbai, India. Nutritionist Neha Suryawanshi is a weight loss diets expert. She is helping people to reach to their health related goals with her healthy diets & lifestyle. Dietitian Neha Suryawanshi provides weight loss diet consultations online. Online diet consultation, customised online diet plans, personalized. She believe in health care that is based on a personal commitment to meet patient needs with compassion and care. I have done M.Sc. in Dietetics and Food Service Management. P.G.Diploma in Clinical Nutrition and Dietetics ,Post Graduate Diploma in Computer Application, B.Sc. in Clinical Nutrition and Dietetics. Dietitian’s Neha Suryawanshi’s nutrition expertise is in Weight Management, Diabetes Management, PCOS Management, Heart Disease Management, Thyroid Management and Sport nutrition and other clinical disorders. She has worked at Snap Fitness Goregaon as a Corporate Nutritionist where she provided diet and nutrition couseling to Clients and prepared, monitored diet plans on weekly basis and with VLCC Health Care Pvt.Ltd. Currently working as an Online Diet Consultant with Lybrate, Practo, icliniq, happydna and other health websites and writing health blogs as well.
Contact Info: 9757149915
Twitter link : @neha555555
Other Article by Neha:
We are looking for experienced guest bloggers who can write original, high-quality content for Our Holistic Health.
Would you like to contribute?
Advantages for You:
- Featured blog posts will include your name, short bio, and a link back to your blog or website.
- Popular articles will be featured in our newsletter, which goes out to many individuals.
- Writing a guest post for Our Holistic Health is an excellent way for you to promote your blog or business!
- Being a guest contributor helps to distinguish you as an expert in your field.
- Regular contributors will get to display their photo, bio, and link to their site on the Author’s Page.
Drop an E-mail on firstname.lastname@example.org and Let’s get connected!