Arthritis is very common but is not well understood. Actually, “arthritis” is not a single disease; it is a different way of referring to joint pain or joint disorder. There are more than 100 different types of arthritis and related conditions.
Common arthritis joint symptoms are mainly swelling, pain, stiffness and decreased range of motion. Symptoms may come and disappear sometimes. They can be mild, moderate or severe.
There has been enough research available now which proves few food items acts as a superfood in arthritis. These magical food help in dramatic reduction of inflammatory markers in the blood. Growing evidence also suggests that following a healthy diet rich in fruits, vegetables and spices can help fight inflammation and joint pain.
5 superfoods for Arthritis :
1. Cruciferous vegetables like Broccoli, Sprouts, Cabbage : The presence of a compound called sulforaphane helps slow cartilage damage in joints. Eat these food items as per your recipe preparation style.
2. Garlic – belongs to allium family. Garlic have the presence of beneficial compound named Diallyl disulfide. This helps in limiting cartilage- damaging enzymes.
3. Vitamin C –Antioxidants present in Vitamin C rich food like Amla, Oranges, Guava, Grapes, berries etc helps in slowing the progression of Osteoarthritis. supplements also available and recommended as per the physician’s advice.
4. Fatty fish – the presence of essential fatty acid omega3 present in fatty fish like salmon, tuna, Mackerel helps in fighting inflammation. If you are not a non veg eater, your treating Doctor may suggests you for other supplements.
5. Probiotics – the presence of promising healthy bacteria which promote health by giving a boost to our gut bacteria. Sources of probiotics- Yogurt, Kefir, sauerkraut etc. Supplements are also available in the market.
By Smriti Jha