Do you know in a lifetime a human being walks about hundred thousand miles that’s like walking around the world almost four times, now imagine halfway through your life having to do this one foot or even in a wheel chair?
Do you see how much your feet supports you in your lifetime and tell me how much do you support your feet, this question becomes critical for those who live with diabetes wherever you may be Asia ,Africa, Latin America.
Do you know apart from accidents maximum foot amputations of down on people with diabetes the reason is that they don’t feel pain in their feet and that’s the problem?
WHAT IS Diabetic Neuropathy?
- Numbness (which may become permanent)
- Burning (especially in the evening)
What is Diabetic foot?
Presence of several characteristic diabetic foot pathologies such as infection, diabetic foot ulcer and neuropathic osteoarthropathy is called diabetic foot syndrome. Due to the peripheral nerve dysfunction associated with diabetes (diabetic neuropathy), patients have a reduced ability to feel pain.
Try these simple basic tips on foot care so you can lead a healthy productive life. It is broadly divided into signs :Do’s and Don’ts
- Use your mirror to check your feet daily
- Look for cuts, bruises, blisters, color changes, swellings, ingrown toe nails and open-source
- Always protect your feet against injury by appropriate footwear. Keep wound covered with clean dressing
- Wash feet daily with soup and water. take care to wash between your toes and dry feet carefully especially between the toes.
- Keep skin soft by using lotion on the top and bottom of your feet but not between toes preferably do this at bedtime.
- Cut toe nails straight across and file the sharp edges before putting them on check shoes daily for rough places for rough places and irritating objects, pebbles, nail swear cotton that are washed daily.
- They must fit well and have no holes.
- Buy shoes at the end of the day as feet swell during the day. Avoid rough seems wear them for short periods at first.Have your feet checked by your doctor first periodically
Please follow these guidelines unfailing. Your doctor or diabetes educator can only advice it. It is your foot, remember foot problems will not be painful but can still be very serious.
An Article by Mr. Wajid Rather
Diabetes Educator at lifespan diabetes and cardio metabolic clinic
lifespan diabetes and cardio metabolic clinic
International diabetes federation